Father’s Day in the United States is on Sunday June 18, 2017.
Do you have a teacher or mentor that you admire as a father figure?
I would like to share with you a Chinese proverb that says when someone teaches you or mentors you for a day, you respect him as a father for a lifetime.
You’ll also learn that the words sifu or shifu literally mean teacher, shi, and father, fu.
The Chinese proverb is 一日為師，終身為父 (yī rì wéi shī, zhōng shēn wèi fù).
Literally, these words mean 一日 (yī rì, a day) 為 (wéi, as) 師 (shī, teacher)，終身 (zhōng shēn, a lifetime) 為 (wèi, as) 父 (fù, father).
It has been translated in many ways:
- Once a teacher, always respected as a father.
- A day as a teacher, a lifetime held in esteem as a father.
- Respect your teacher as you do your father.
- Students should always respect their teachers as much as they respect their fathers.
- A teacher for a day is to be respected as a father for a lifetime.
- Even if someone is your teacher for only a day, you should regard him like your father for the rest of your life.
- A day as a teacher; a lifetime as a father.
- A teacher for a day is a father for a lifetime.
- One should respect a teacher as if the teacher were his or her own father through a lifetime, even if the student-teacher relationship has existed for only a day.
- He who teaches me for one day is my father for life.
- He who teaches me for one day may be considered my father-figure for life.
- We should sincerely respect a teacher.
If you’re a sifu, this proverb can serve as a reminder that your responsibility as a teacher is huge. Your commitment to teach someone for a day is as important as being a father that nurtures and teaches a son or a daughter for a lifetime.
Introducing “Warrior Banner” Series 2: Sifu Master Teacher Father
To celebrate this Father’s Day in the U.S. and many different upcoming Father’s Days around the world, we’ve also designed a kit with a large banner and 24 buttons: “Warrior Banner” Series 2: Sifu Master Teacher Father.
It’s called “Warrior Banner” because our series of banners are inspired by the minimalist design of the traditional banners that samurai once carried. We love to create inspirational banners using simple colors and meaningful characters that can be displayed indoors or outdoors.
The price for this kit is $150. The banner is made of a durable vinyl material that will last 5 to 10 years and likely longer. Over time, the cost is actually just $10 or so a year.
Limited-time Batch Price:
Our cost is lowest when we can make many banners at once. Therefore, if you order before Monday June 5, 2017, this will allow us to do a batch run two weeks before Father’s Day. You’ll also get the batch price of $100, a savings of $50.
Our series of banners are inspired by the minimalist design of the traditional banners that samurai once carried. We love to create inspirational and durable banners using simple colors and meaningful characters that can be displayed indoors and outdoors.